Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Good Friday Gone Bad

If you watched the news at all on Friday, April 10th, you know it was a horrible day for weather here in the southeast. Horrible storms spawning tornadoes, death and damage. So sad for those who lost loved ones and those who lost their homes.

As I heard on the news about the tragedy in Murfreesboro, TN, I thought of a friend who lives there and worried about her and her family's safety. Through Facebook, she let me know she was ok...Thank God! I was so sad to hear of the death of a young mother and her 9 week old baby. Walker's baseball coach's mother-in-law is a neighbor of the young woman and saw it all.

Our little incident on the same day was very minuscule in comparison, but I wanted to share nonetheless.

After the storms raged through our area in Northeast Georgia, we decided to go out for a drive. The air is always so fresh and everything looks so clean after a storm, so we wanted to take it all in.....while in Ringgold, we turned onto a road that we know very well. There is a hill and curve to go up just after you turn onto the road. A man coming from the other direction crossed into our lane while coming down the hill and around the curve. Thankfully, Randy has good driving reflexes and saw it and swerved just enough to avoid a head on collision. The man hit us starting from the front drivers side wheel all the way to the back wheel.

We are all ok. Walker was VERY upset that the man "wrecked us and made me spill my new root beer!" LOL kids....thank God they weren't hurt. Randy just about came unglued! It was a blessing that his door was difficult to open and had time to calm down before getting out of the van. I was actually sitting behind Randy because I'd just finished feeding Wyatt. I'm a little sore still, but I think just because I tensed up and grabbed a hold of Wyatt's seat just before impact.

Here's a camera phone shot....not really great, I took it at the collision center.


I took this as they were taking it off the wrecker to put into their building...couldn't be left outside because the door won't close all the way.

The man that hit us was very upset by the fact we had children in the car, as he's a father of 4. It was just an accident. He spoke to his insurance company right away and told them it was his fault so we were able to get a rental on Saturday morning.

The agent looked at the van Monday and made an initial estimate of $3500. That is an open estimate, so it could go up if they find anything else wrong.

It could have been much worse. I'm so thankful we're all ok.

3 comments:

  1. That's so scary - i'm so glad to hear everyone is ok! I actually had an accident when I was 7 months pregnant - it's a lot to deal with. Good luck with insurance and all that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I am so glad you guys are okay!! That is just awful. Keeping all of you in our T&P's.

    ReplyDelete