Friday, July 10, 2009

like-sisters

With the sad events of the week, it has make me realize even more how very special my BFF, Stacey, is to me. I think we have devised the perfect plan:
Should we both out live our husbands, we will become roommates in a nursing facility and die on the same day. Problem solved....no tears, no sorrow, just us two 'like-sisters' kickin' it at the nursing home until we take our last breaths together.
I don't want to go through what my mom went through today, nor do I want Stacey to endure that pain and sorrow. Just last year I watch my mother-in-law as she lost her oldest and dearest friend. It was heartbreaking to watch, as it was again today with my own mother.
Don't get me wrong, I feel for the family, especially Tara, Teari's only child. But that bond you have with your best friend is something that cannot be duplicated by family or another friend. It is unique and special. A marriage, if you will, of two kindred spirits who are always there...you may not speak every day, see each other every week, but you are there for each other when the chips are down, when they're up, and everywhere in between. You know each others secrets from years and years ago....and you've never told a sole and never will. You've seen them at their worst, as they've seen you; you've seen them at their best and are always proud of them. This comes only once. We all should cherish these friendships because one day, it will come to an end as it did for my mom this week. You will have regrets for maybe not talking to them the day before, or realizing how close to the end they were. However, and most important, you will have those years of memories of all you've been through together as "like-sisters" and nothing can take that away and no one else can understand.
So, tomorrow when I go visit with Stacey and her family, I will give and extra hug, kiss and I love you. Sometimes it is when you see loss, up close and personal, that it hits home how very fragile life can be and how quickly it is gone. Love those around you with all your might.
Stacey and I have been friends for nearly 20 years, that seems so strange to say...I hope we have at least 40 more to come.

2 comments:

  1. Perfectly stated....
    We all have a special best friend and you're right, we should remind them more often what they mean to us. Think I'll call Wendy (my BFF for the past 27 yrs) right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't think Missy enough for posting this particular blog; I am always proud and interested in reading about Missy, Randy and my "perfect and beautiful grandsons"; but I was truly moved to tears by her blog about Teari and me. It meant so much for her to be able to be here for me (since she has lived out of town most of her adult life) and for her to even be able to put some personal feelings aside, and stand beside me at one of the worst possible times of my life. She made me realize how lucky I am to have her as my daughter; and to have her at my side during this.......well, there are just no words to describe what that meant for me; I am so blessed to have Missy as my daughter and my friend. I hope it is many, many, many more years before she and/or Stacey have to go through what I just went through. I love you, Missy. Mom

    ReplyDelete